Saturday, November 28, 2009

11.28.09 – Not Home for the Holidays


I came from a highly dysfunctional family, which is the norm these days, so holidays are not my favorite time of year. I haven’t been to my parents’ home since 1990 and I think I am the better for it. Most people, I’m sure won’t understand that, which is why I usually duck around when people ask me where I’m spending the holidays or if I’m going home. I’m not sure if it’s the blog or other things in my life or no longer being in a job where I feel I always have to present a very different image than who I really am, but I can’t seem to bother to lie that much anymore. A number of people around me have been a bit shocked by my directness and openness of late. I think it’s a good change and I’m starting to care less and less what others think in regards to how I live my life, which is a very good thing.

This year I was invited by a friend I was reacquainted with on Facebook, ironically, for Thanksgiving. I had a wonderful time and was welcomed by all her friends. Of course this makes me think of what I “missed out” on by not being around my family. I think I made the right choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment