Wednesday, November 11, 2009

11.11.09 – Best Friends


I was a bit ambivalent about the online friend sites and very late came to Facebook, more to potentially promote my cable access show on local artists than to connect with people. At first I wanted to only be "friends" with people I at least knew, most of whom I don't think I could call friends, even though I do like them. If my car had a flat tire, there's only a handful of my "friends" on the list that I would call. I then began getting requests from people I didn't know, but decided to add those that either had some weird connection to me or I liked their work. Now I've even begun sending some requests myself, which I always feel very strange doing even though most have accepted the request.

Just last week I “unfriended” someone. I was in a particularly bad mood, feeling very frustrated, and somewhat powerless in the situation I was in. The idea just came to me that this person really wasn't my "friend" and I didn't want this person on my list. It was fairly quick and anticlimactic, but I did have a momentary sense of triumph. It does bring up the issue that friendship does mean vastly different things to different people.

http://amovieaday.blip.tv

No comments:

Post a Comment