Thursday, November 12, 2009

11.12.09 – Urban Explorers


I live near the riverfront, which is a somewhat quaint, but also touristy area. I’m close to expensive homes and condos, but strangely enough, just as close to the projects. It is a very odd sight to see out-of-town suburbanites in open-air horse-drawn carriages looking very fearful at the urban youth wandering by them.

This afternoon I was visiting a gallery in the western edge of the inner-city, in an area that has become a bit of a burgeoning arts area, but also viewed by most as not so safe. I was looking at a friend’s show again, and seeing how much I missed during the first viewing, when I heard that familiar sound (at least to me, especially on weekends) of the horse-drawn carriage. I looked out the window in wonder to see such a vehicle, so very much off what I assumed was the tourist path. It both surprised me, but also gave me hope for this area. If it’s safe enough for out-of-town tourists, than it’s safe enough for the locals.

http://amovieaday.blip.tv

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I hear them go past my place every once in a while, too. It still surprises me a little bit. I see the carriages hanging around Fountain Square all of the time, but never imagined them coming up to the borderlands.

    ReplyDelete