Thursday, June 3, 2010

6.3.10 – Freeze Frame


I produce and direct a documentary series locally for public access on artists. I basically started doing this as a way to learn to use the video camera and editing system. Having a show that would then air on television was a bonus. As I do everything myself, and since technology is not always cooperative, I occasionally have issues. Usually I’m unhappy with the lighting, as I tend to use existing light (fluorescent lights and video cameras do not go together – heed my warning) or wish I had asked another question or noticed the height the subject was sitting at was unflattering. Typically once it’s done it’s done and there aren’t other issues.

My most recent show for some reason froze up at the 17-minute mark, not on DVD or even on the file on my hard drive, but online. It got fixed and then froze again. I still don’t understand what happened and had to completely re-create the show and upload and convert it again. What was odd was that the video froze, but the audio kept going. It was a strange experience and made me think of audio recordings that occasionally appear on DVD extras, as well as my silent movie experience last month. We get so used to things a certain way that it’s jarring when something unexpected happens.

2 comments:

  1. Cool!
    I haven't watched your TV show yet and I really want to, so this is a nudge to get to it soon.

    Like your realization about Star Wars being created by all these behind-the-scenes people, I was inspired by Truffaut's "Day for Night". I still relish the behind the scenes stuff.
    Having made a few little movies, though, I realized it's not really my life's work. (I'd rather write.)
    But I love understanding it better.
    And sometimes it's the glitches (frozen image, moving audio) that remind us, as you say, this isn't magic nor is it reality...

    P.S. Speaking of flies in the ointment, thanks for your comments on my wall-painting endeavors---I'm in for a lot more work than I expected.
    Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Fresca, for your interest in my show. I hope you like it.

    Even with people involved in film, I did think it was magic as a child. Little did I know I'd be dealing with video codecs' that I don't understand and really don't want to understand.

    Sorry about the paint hassles. I will say that after doing the not-very-good job on my patio furniture, I had to take back some of my thoughts about the painter's skill in my apartment. It is a lot of work!

    I like the color. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete