Wednesday, April 21, 2010

4.21.10 – Uncomfortable Silence


I watched The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo at the Esquire Theatre in Cincinnati last night, which I enjoyed except for the fact that we lost sound for the last 15-20 minutes. Just before the sound cut out, I heard a loud pop that made me jump slightly in my seat. The staff tried to get it back on (without ever stopping the movie), but failed. True, it was a foreign film, although there were a few minutes which appeared to be an English language conversation, but it was difficult not hearing the music, or lack of music, or hearing the voices and their tone. That’s one of the reasons I hate too much online conversations, as you can easily mistake what someone is saying by not hearing their tone of voice and their actual words.

Many cinephiles may feel that silent films are the best, but I need noise.

2 comments:

  1. Great!
    Looks like Godard!

    And you also display one of the things that bugs me about subtitles---you can see and hear that the people onscreen are saying way more than the subtitles translate, yet of course we don't want to spend all our time reading, either...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Fresca. I was just thinking about re-watching some Godard, so maybe that's what subconsciously got me to frame it and costume the piece as I did.

    I always think back to the scene in "Lost in Translation" where Bill Murray's filming the commercial and the Japanese director is going on and on in Japanese and then the interpreter gives Bill a one or two word direction. We're certainly missing things in subtitles, which is why I dream of being multi-lingual. Of course I can't seem to stick with any language long enough to become fluent, but one day.

    ReplyDelete