Tuesday, June 1, 2010

6.1.10 – Louise


Louise Bourgeois passed away last week. It makes me think of my blog entry from Saturday. If anyone epitomizes a late bloomer it is Louise, not coming into fame until in her 70s. Her passing made me pull out some of my old photo albums, remembering I had seen her Spiders in New York back in 2001 (before 9/11).

I was in the city for what really was a fling; even though I tried convincing myself it was so much more. There’s a line in her New York Times obit about the subject of her art being pain and fear – the fear that the hold of the past has on you. Somehow flicking through those New York images, I thought the fear of the past might seize me, but thankfully, at least this past episode, seems to have lost its grip. The spiders are still stunning.

1 comment:

  1. I almost thought I was looking at a huge spider attacking Fountain Square.

    ReplyDelete