Monday, April 5, 2010

4.5.10 – To be happy or not to be happy, that is the question


A friend of mine has complained at times about having to sit through my “depressing movies” and tried to get me to take part in an art installation on Saturday that required cuddling someone I didn’t know. He said it would make me feel better, as he felt I was depressed. Somehow I just couldn’t do it, even though the cuddling partner was the brother of another friend and seemed harmless enough.

This morning I caught part of Dr. Oz on television while the repairman was working on my water-stained wall in my office. The episode dealt with happiness and discussed the Oxford quiz on happiness. Dr. Oz then worked with a woman who scored particularly low on this quiz. It made me wonder whether I truly was depressed or at least unhappy. Well, according to this quiz I fall right in between – not good, but not bad either. I suppose these days that’s probably better than most. Take the quiz yourself and see where you fall.

5 comments:

  1. I failed.

    Here's my favorite pair of questions. I "strongly agree" with both of them:

    9. Life is good.

    10. I do not think that the world is a good place.

    But what a goofy quiz!
    Asking someone to rate the statement "I am happy" to determine whether or not they're happy seems rather ridiculous, doesn't it?
    What has Oxford come to...
    *smile*

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. Sorry--I wrote my response before I watched your movie ("I am intensely interested in other people" FAIL).
    It was so funny! ("I laugh often.")
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, it was a goofy quiz. I was mostly annoyed that I went through it, then had to do that insane re-do of the numbers, all to tell me really nothing.

    Here's the link from Dr. Oz for the 28 day makeover on happiness: http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/get-happier-28-days

    I'm still working on the "fake it until you make it" on many areas of my life...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Latecomer here to say:
    this made me laugh.
    "But I don't hate everyone....at least I don't think I do....well, not everyone."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Margaret. Glad I made you laugh.

    ReplyDelete