Monday, April 19, 2010

4.19.10 – Glimpses of Life


I saw the film Visual Acoustics yesterday, which documented the life of architectural photographer, Julius Shulman. I’ve always loved his photographs, even before I knew his name. When I was in college and grad school I thought about going into architecture, but then I realized it wasn’t that I drawn to buildings, rather, I was drawn to the photographs of buildings. I’d fantasize about what it was like to live in those homes, especially the modern homes that Shulman photographed. It was a surprise to hear in the movie that he would bring his family’s own furniture to use in the shots to make the homes (that weren’t yet inhabited) look like they were lived in. I suppose in some ways it makes those buildings even more his, as he chose the furniture and their placement. It’s always interesting to glimpse into another person’s home/life.

No comments:

Post a Comment