Saturday, April 17, 2010

4.17.10 – Trying to Purge


As much of a hassle as it’s been dealing with the painting in my apartment after the water damage, I think it happened at a good time. I was on a very dangerous path of a hoarder. I cannot even describe the volume and variety of items in my apartment. Obviously there are an obscene amount of books, photos, and movies, but also all kinds of other assorted things that I’d find in thrift shops and think I might make into something else or use at some point. The urge to create was very strong especially when I was trying to stifle it, which was when the greatest accumulation of crap began.

Well, it’s time some of it went away, but it’s very hard to let go. I keep thinking back to a Japanese movie I saw several years ago – Tony Takitani – about an illustrator whose wife is an obsessive shopper. He tries to gently get her to get rid of some of the clothes, as there is no more room. She returns an outfit that she’s just bought, but changes her mind after she gets into her car. She ends up being killed in a car accident trying to go back to the store. Thinking about to this movie caused me to not turn my car around and go back and get my fake white Christmas tree from Goodwill.

No comments:

Post a Comment