Monday, March 22, 2010

3.22.10 – To fund or not to fund


Yesterday, the House of Representatives here in the U.S voted to support the health care reform bill. I’m still perplexed about how such an issue that, in my opinion, everyone should support, has become so divisive. I’m, of course, one of the people Republicans like to misquote by claiming I’m against the bill, when in reality I just don’t feel it went far enough. I want the public option, but think the bill is a step in the right direction. I do believe the politicians caved in to special interest groups (i.e. the insurance companies) and have left too many loopholes in the bill that will come back to bite us. True, the Republicans may still scuttle the bill when it heads back to the Senate, so nothing may change.

What upsets me the most is not that we may be in a status quo until this country finally collapses due to the insane medical insurance mess we’ve allowed to happen, it’s that people still don’t see what’s happening. Just this morning a friend of a friend on Facebook commented the same crazy fear mongering stuff and tried to use the fact that she got this information from watching the politicians debate, not from the news, as if that meant everything she was saying was the truth. The trouble is none of the elected politicians who voted either for or against the bill have actually READ IT, so what they say in a debate is nothing but BS! Politicians never read bills. They read summaries and rely on their aides, who also don’t have time to read the bills, so the politicians end up just making crap up. I myself did this in college when I decided I did better on my literature papers when I didn’t read the books. I did attend the classes and passages from the books were read there, which helped me.

The thing is the worst that could have happened to me in that situation is I could have made a fool of myself and received a bad grade. In politics, most people forget the stuff that politicians make up during arguments, but we the taxpayers are left with all the crap.

2 comments:

  1. "There will be no more dogs!"
    Ha! good analogy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Fresca. I just don't understand why the Republicans have decided this will be the line in the sand, but then there's lots of things I don't understand.

    ReplyDelete