Sunday, March 14, 2010

3.14.10 – TMI Society


To me the worst part of cell phone use is that people using them become engrossed and completely forget that others are around them and can hear what they’re saying. It’s not the casual chitchat at the stores that gets to me; it’s the very personal, and sometimes confusing and disturbing, information that is blithely, and often loudly, uttered with lots of other people around. I find it difficult not to look at people when they’ve said something on their phone, not intended for me, but that I’ve been forced to hear, yet at the same time I don’t want to meet the person’s gaze and have them know that I’ve heard them.

3 comments:

  1. I can't comment on this film because I'm in a loud coffeeshop & can't hear the words,
    I'm just writing to say I thought of your movies when I watched Andrei Tarkovsky's "Solaris" (1972) for the first time last night.

    Have you seen it?

    The aesthetics are somewhat like yours, to my eye, anyway:
    real time scenes of a vase of flowers on a windowsill, water plants waving in a stream, a car driving through tunnels--
    they took my breath away and made me want to get out my camera.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw Steven Soderbergh's remake, but not the original. It's been on my list of movies I need to see, but just haven't gotten around to. I did see that it's streaming on Netflix, so I have no excuse.

    I feel the way you've stated above when I see Kieslowski films.

    Per a previous comment about normalizing art, thought this was interesting: http://ow.ly/1lnBX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kieslowski is amazing but kind of depresses me... whereas "Trakkovsky's Solaris" energized me.
    (I watched it streaming on Netflix too.)
    But each to her own!

    "Your job is to show up and just keep making the art...."
    I like that a lot!

    Reminds me of George Washington.
    (Sorry. Everything anyone says reminds me of the French & Indian War, my latest job.)
    GW was 22 to 28 year old officer in the Virginian Regiment during it.
    (I had no idea---I'd thought he was born full-grown in 1776)
    He just never let up!
    Through rain and snow and hunger and dysentery and defeat
    --and his own lack of military genius!--
    and so on and on and on.

    This doesn't make me like him--I don't--but I am coming to understand him better, and is he ever
    a good example of the power of persistence.

    ReplyDelete