Saturday, May 8, 2010

5.8.10 – In Living Color


I saw the Cincinnati Ballet’s The Sammy Project this afternoon. The second half of the show was Twyla Tharp’s In the Upper Room with music by Philip Glass, who I love, but what caught me most were the costumes (designed by Norma Kamali). In one segment the female dancers were wearing short fuchsia gowns that, with the smoke machines that were going, produced the strangest effect. The silky fabric’s normal black shadows seemed almost hyper-real. The dresses looked like a fancy cgi effect or hand colored on these figures in the old way it might have been done in film. This whole day I’ve been unable to shake that burst of color. I wish the lighting in my home was better, that I had a smoke machine, and that I had the energy and limberness to show you what I saw and keep seeing.

No comments:

Post a Comment