Sunday, May 16, 2010

5.16.10 – And the award goes to…


Thursday night I attended the local Blue Chip Cable Access awards, where one of my documentaries was nominated, but did not win. It’s a weird feeling attending such an event. It’s not the Oscars, but there is a great deal of anticipation and tension. Film (and art) is such a subjective medium that it’s always been aggravating to me watching films I loved either not win or not even get nominated for the big prestigious awards.

Of course, as much as I like to say it doesn’t matter, like any other human being, I would have liked to win. I console myself with the words of Philip Glass in the recent American Masters documentary, when he was talking about not getting awards and fellowships others around him were getting, he said that he must not have needed them. As nice as the award would have been, perhaps I really don’t need it either.

Still, I did feel I deserved something for all the hard, and mostly unpaid, work I’ve been doing over these last several years, so I made myself an award.

My documentary on Neusole Glassworks can be viewed here. The talented artists at Neusole definitely deserve an award.

1 comment:

  1. CONGRATULATIONS!
    On Doing Something--anything at all (heck, it's optional!)--and on winning the Perseverance Award.

    Not Giving Up is key.

    I am inspired by how you truly do keep making these movies every day, for instance, as promised. (And even more so because I've made a few myself and know they take real effort.)

    ReplyDelete