Monday, February 15, 2010

2.15.10 – Belated Valentine


As I’m not currently in a relationship and I was preparing for “snowmageddon” yesterday, I managed to forget it was Valentine’s Day until talking with a friend last night who was complaining about several lanes at the supermarket being reserved for Valentine’s Day items only. I’ve never been that excited by Valentine’s Day, especially the older I get. I’d rather have a man buy me flowers or candy or give me a card because the spirit moved him, not because every retailer is telling him he has to or he’ll be in the doghouse.

The holiday does bring up for me all the craziness of relationships, the wondering what the other person is thinking (often they’re not thinking anything) or trying to find the meaning in little things when there is none. The snow has gotten me back into my movie viewing, luckily. This morning I watched Adam, which is about a man with Asperger’s syndrome (a higher functioning version of autism). There was a strange simplicity to him, which was refreshing, as he couldn’t tell what people were thinking and had to ask. In one scene he commented that he could tell his romantic lead was upset (she was crying), but didn’t know what to do. If only every person could say that in such a situation, to ask the question instead of wondering what was going on, there would be much happier relationships in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment