Sunday, February 14, 2010

2.14.10 – What I’m Wondering About Right Now


I’m wondering about what the 6-9 inches more snow we’re supposed to get tomorrow and cold temperatures will do to my already troubled apartment building. I’m wondering when these “deathcicles” will fall and will I be quick enough to miss their path. I’m wondering if my food is being contaminated as it appears my fridge and freezer are cutting in and out (ice packs really should be solid, not cold liquid). This leads me to wonder why I have stayed as long as I have in my current apartment – going on twelve years now.

I never anticipated staying that long, thinking within a few years I’d be off to New York or London, leading my fabulous dream life. When you don’t make concerted plans to get to the next level or many levels above you tend to not go anywhere. I like the convenience of my apartment’s location and it has a great deal of space (or it would if I weren’t such a pack rat), but the managing landlord seemed to intentionally be letting it disintegrate while the other owners whined about him, but did nothing. Now they’ve bought him out, but nothing seems to have changed. When I moved in I decided the next move would be more than just across the river, but I may need to re-think that.

I watched A Serious Man this morning, and didn’t seem to like it much, but it stuck with me all day. The main character really grated on my nerves. He wasn’t a bad man, but he seemed to be stuck in a rut and really didn’t want to get out of it, and resented having his life unsettled even if some of it could potentially have been a good thing. I wanted so much for him to take action. Maybe that’s how it is with my apartment – everything is here, I’m used to a certain routine and certain stores, but it’s kept me in a rut for far too long, and I need to take action.

No comments:

Post a Comment