Thursday, July 15, 2010

7.15.10 – Life would be perfect if…


I’ve been reading Meghan Daum’s book, Life Would be Perfect if I Lived in That House. It’s about, in a rare honest way, her pursuit of the perfect life through the perfect house/apartment. I think most people, especially women, can relate to this. I know I used to think that if only I lost 20 pounds or got that dress or or that degree or that watch or could afford that trip or could move to New York or London, it would all be okay. Of course it never was.

She used the phrase “chronic lostness” about her first trip to Los Angeles, but somehow that seems to describe my own life at times, daydreaming about moving to one part of the country or another, thinking everything would be perfect if, yet not going anywhere.

3 comments:

  1. I learned in the most physical way possible that "wherever you go, there you are" when I walked the almost-500-mile pilgrimage across northern Spain, and at the end I was JUST THE SAME!
    I had to laugh.
    After I cried.
    And in some paradoxical way, I think coming to accept that I am who I am actually changed me for the better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I don't think I ever went back and commented after I watched some of your TV show about artists. I was so impressed! Making them seems like excellent, excellent work--and hard work too. Wow. I could just imagine some of the labor--interviewing, editing, etc.

    When I was younger, I would have thought, "Anyone who can make those shows has so much confidence and skill, she must have no problems at all!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! 500 miles is pretty amazing.

    Whenever I start beating myself up for not moving to New York years ago I remind myself how clueless I was then and how it wouldn't have really changed anything except probably put me more in debt. I would have gotten to see more art, which would have been nice. It's probably better I've spent a lot of time where I'm at figuring myself out where it's cheaper and matters less.

    Thanks for watching my shows. Glad you liked them. I appreciate it.

    Something about holding or being near a camera. It's as though someone else takes over, someone far more confident than my day-in-day-out me.

    ReplyDelete